Safer Internet Day is celebrated each year to promote the safe and responsible use of online technology and mobile phones for children and young people. Started by the EU SafeBorders project in 2004, it has now spread to over 100 countries around the world and is being officially observed in the United States for the first time this year.
This year’s theme “Let’s create a better internet together”, focuses on creative ways for kids to learn about internet safety, and the role we all play to create a better internet. The official Safer Internet Day site features a gallery of resources that are designed to help children stay safe online.
Follow these tips right now to help protect your children:
- Have an open dialogue with your child about internet safety
- Read and sign our family agreement about internet usage and behavior
- Monitor the apps your kids use and their online behavior closely, and consider filtering or blocking software for their devices
- Teach your children to always think before they post
- Review privacy settings on the apps and social networks that your children use
- Save the evidence (screenshots, etc.) and report anything that upsets or worries your children
For an extra layer of smartphone protection for your kids, make sure to check out NQ Family Guardian. Our parental control software provides peace of mind for parents by allowing them to monitor their children’s online activities, restrict the apps and sites they have access to, and control what times they are allowed to use their devices.